#1) I got a new calling......(and if you are wondering if I FINALLY got released from the State Mental Hospital-the answer is no.) So in addition to the mentally ill I now am the secretary in the primary presidency in my real ward. I know nothing about primary so I've been learning as I go:)
The president asked if I would be in charge of the 3rd and 4th Articles of Faith. My responsibility included making a "cute" poster and then teaching the kids on Sunday during opening exercises. I've never been a good speller or artist so I kept putting it off and putting it off also, - "cute" posters just aren't my thing. Sunday morning came around and I am freaking because it's not done. I enlist the help of Joseph and we "get creative." We are trying to think of a creative ways to draw the Holy Ghost, baptism, and sin. We come up with a picture of a ghost with a halo above his head (with my full intention to explain to the kids that the Holy Ghost isn't a ghost) water (for baptism) and handcuffs for sin.
Feeling pretty proud of myself we head to church:) All during sacrament meeting I am going through what I'm going to say and how I'm going to say it. I was kinda nervous.....little kids freak me out! Give me Deacons and Beehives any day but sunbeams-now they are freaky!
Opening exercises starts and I am waiting in anticipation for my turn when the Bishop walks in and sits next to me. Also, my visiting teacher who happens to be the relief society president comes in because her daughter is giving a talk......lovely. I'm thinking Melinda you are a pro you can do this.......you taught gang members and drug addicts to make quiche you can teach little kids WORDS!
Finally my turn........I did the best I could......the kids seemed to learn......and I actually somewhat enjoyed myself. But I asked the kids "does the Holy Ghost really look like this?" and they all in unison say YYYEEESSSS........I respond "no the Holy Ghost is a spirit. He doesn't look like this. I just drew this so it would help you remember the word, Holy Ghost" All the kids were like ooooohhhh :)
I sit down feeling sweaty and relieved it's over when my VT leans over to me and says " i before e except after c" I PANIC! DID I SPELL SOMETHING WRONG????? Of course I did! I spell horrible!!! and I am really self conscious about it. Then I come to find out that pictures of ghosts are NOT allowed in primary and if the Stake President knew he would freak....I was mortified. Then I was so ticked a Joseph!! He read the poster with me.....He knows I can't spell and am overly cautious about anything I write...AND he KNEW the ghost "rule"!!! AAAHHHH. I wanted to cry...my first assignment and I choked.
Joseph of course felt really bad. He didn't notice the spelling error and he forgot the "ghost rule." And I got over it:)
For your viewing pleasure I have included a copy of my "cute" misspelled evil poster:)
11 comments:
First of all, Brielle is such a cutie! Second, that video of your husband is so funny. My hubby likes to help the baby "play drums".
Oh man...the ghost thing made me laugh! Also, your baby is Gorgeous!!! And Joseph is impressive as ever at sound effects! haha ps. call me anytime you're bored!
You are so cute Melinda... I love you! I didn't know the ghose rule either and I am in the primary! Good to know. Also I can not believe how big Brielle is! She is a DOLL!!!! Your little family is so cute!!!!
I totally hear you on feeling more comfortable with the teenagers than the primary kids! I was in young women's for a couple years and then we moved and they put me in primary.
After two weeks of it I realized I was way out of my comfort zone and through diving inspiration got a new calling to teach the 16-17 year olds in Sunday school. I'm sure those kids loved you and your poster though, who wouldn't?
Brielle has the cutest face I've ever seen. Her eyes are so big and beautiful! Love her! And Joseph is killing me with the mortal combat stuff. I bet he's good at getting Bree to laugh : )
"you taught gang members and drug addicts to make quiche you can teach little kids WORDS!"
LOL! As one who knows, that is hilarious. And I loved the poster!
Hi to the whole fam...
You spelled quiche right!! I was in the Primary presidency and there were so many things to remember, so don't beat yourself up. I am sure you did great and neither you or Joseph will ever forget the ghost rule.
Ha Ha, I am rolling laughing right now!! I miss you...that's all I can say.
I love the primary story. Hilarious! And Bree is absolutely darling! Definitely your posterity.
Who knew 4-year olds could be so intimidating, huh? I am the ward chorister and have to make a poster for every verse of every song we sing. Your poster looked much better than any of mine! Brielle is adorable! How are you enjoying being a mommy?
Next time just dress up as a ghost wearing a halo! That'd get their attention, and likely a release
Love it, love it, love it. You crack me up so much. I was also not aware of the "ghost" rule. Look, at least you have used this experience to educate all of your friends around the country about church policy...that's gotta count for something.
Okay more good news. I am coming to Utah in March and I must must must see you. I will be there from March 16th through the 22nd. I'll call you, but I am dying to see you guys. Sadly Brad will not be with me again this year because he will be in Mexico doing dentistry, but I will have "the Anna bug" as we affectionately call her.
Post a Comment