Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Why I can't be the bishop


Apparently I can't be the bishop. Why, you ask? The answer lies in a midnight revelation received by my lovely wife.

Melinda gets a little delirious if she stays up too late at night. Below is a verbatim conversation we had after we'd gone to bed. I grabbed a pen and paper and wrote it all down.


[Melinda has been asleep, turned away from me, for probably five minutes. I've just finished reading.]

Melinda: Who's on the phone?
Joseph: Huh?

[Melinda checks her phone on the nightstand. Closes her eyes again.]

Melinda: It's you. You were on the phone.
Joseph: Who was I on the phone with?
Melinda: It was grandpa. He wants you to be the bishop....I told him that wasn't allowed.
Joseph: Are you sure I'm not supposed to be the bishop?
Melinda: [suddenly irate] What are you talking about, "the bishop"?! [calm voice again] I told him you can't be the bishop because there's no dogs allowed in the church.

[Melinda falls back asleep]

No dogs allowed in the church. And that, my friends, is why I can't be the bishop.

10 comments:

Katie said...

Joseph these conversations are reminding me of others that I myself have had with a certain someone, now who could that be.... OH YES Mom, on her crazy pills!!! Always a good laugh. I am glad Mel doesn't even need crazy pills. It's stories like this that we Draschils live to tell and hear! I wish my husband said funny things in his sleep.

Megan said...

Oh my goodness! That reminds me of the good 'ol days with Tiana and Melinda! We would be rolling on the floor laughing at the stuff Melinda would say! Like that one time Tiana did your hair late at night.....Oh I love it!

Keith Family said...

Frankly, I'm apalled that you would even think about letting dogs in the church... especially as the bishop. I'm disappointed, Joseph.

Beccarigg said...

LOL! That's so awesome that you wrote that down! Did Melinda remember any of it the next day? Too funny!

Celeste said...

I'm dying in laughter

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

I had totally forgotten about Melinda's crazy sleep-talk. Thank you for the reminder and the good laugh!

Tyson and Heather Hill said...

Ha Ha! That is classic! I love it! Only Melinda!

Lisa said...

I have to say, that I am laughing so hard right now I am crying. It is good to know that other people talk nonsense in their sleep besides me :) Love you Yinda!

Scott Troxel said...

This is why our church is so unique. Personal revelation.

Clean Cut said...

Hilarious!