Sunday, May 24, 2009

I actually may die because of this.......

I have decided that if you are called to be Nursery leaders you should have different requirements then the rest of the ward:
#1. Payment
#2. Special jump suit uniforms that are
a)PANTS
b) germ proof and
c) pee proof
I know now why ladies wear frumpy dresses to church-they MUST work in the nursery. I need to find me one of these!


#3. A prescription for Xanax
#4. children's benadryl
#5. Disney movies.......ANY movie for that matter
The only thing good about my calling so far.....SNACK TIME. Ok, I'm done complaining.......this is just really really hard for me........I am so out of my zone and I pretty much want to die by the time church is over...........heck I think I am loosing my testimony slower and slower each week....

7 comments:

Calvin said...

we were nursery song leaders for a while... we started hating church

selway2005 said...

oh dear....Melinda! I'm so sorry! I think that they should consider exempting any mom whose child is under 5 from this calling. Seriously, that is just cruel and unjust punishment. Here's an idea, though: why don't you think of how amazing you can make it? You can have such a great influence on those kids;
1) bring Church music to play in the background to calm them down;
2) have bubbles or coloring time;
3) if you are having a hard time, walk out of the room for 5 min and breathe.

GOOD LUCK!

Beccarigg said...

Melinda you are soooo funny! There's no way you and Joseph can be that out of your zone, you are born entertainers! Just turn on some of your charm and those kids will be eating out of your hands. Taber and I subbed in Nursery a couple weeks ago and I found that when I talked in my super perky Dora the explorer voice I could actually get and keep their attention. (If you haven't seen Dora, watch about 30 seconds of an episode and you'll know what I'm talking about.) Also, like the previous comment, the last two wards we were in had a bubble machine and that thing worked magic! Good luck though and don't worry, you're the kind of person who is good at everything you do. You'll get a routine down and be "good" at nursery too : )

dixonfamily said...

I feel your pain!! I have been nursery leader of the jr. nursery in our ward for 8 months. I am more than ready to be done, but there have been some good moments too. I know you guys are probably figuring out a routine and schedule, which is great. Remember you are not just babysitting, but giving these kids their first experiences with learning the gospel at church. Have 45 or so minutes of play time initially, then clean up time, then either a lesson or craft, music time, and then the lesson or craft, whichever you didn't get done first. We have snack time last and then if there is any time left we do bubbles, ring around the rosies, music with instruments, or other easy things until their parents come. It is so helpful to have a plan and a schedule and after a few weeks the kids understand what that is, even the 18 month old ones. Be flexible and recognize when things aren't going well and move on to the next activity. Good luck. I know that nursery is not the most fun place to be, but there are some sweet spiritual moments too.

Angie Judd said...

Yeah...I have NO advise for you. I feel your pain...and think it sucks.
Sorry...some days I just can't look at the brighter side of things.

Kate and Wiley said...

hahaha those dresses are awful Melinda. You crack me up. Good luck!

Lauren Dyer said...

Ok. I know this is an old post, but I've been away from the blogosphere for a while, and I still want to comment. This post made me laugh so hard. Shane is cautioning me to be careful about what I write, so I'll just say I sympathize with you, and I want to hear more about it over sushi.