Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Well we survived.....

Bree has had this throwing up problem for quite a while. She throws up 4-5 times a week and we have been in the process of trying to find out what the heck is going on. After many doctor visits and medications the specialist finally recommended doing an EGD. It is a simple scope and no big deal.......BUT I WAS FREAKING OUT! mostly because the surgery was scheduled for two in the afternoon and she wasn't allowed to EAT!!!!! wait... what???- you know she is TWO right???? It's not like she gets the "fasting surgery concept." She could drink clear liquids for breakfast and that's it. So I ask you- what did you have for breakfast??? We had frozen gadorade and soda:)


Then we went to play with friends to keep OUR minds off the fact that food was not an option. Came home to find that someone loves us:) we got some care packages that were a life saver. Included was a cute coloring activity for Bree to keep her distracted before surgery. And then of course treats for me and for after


We talked a ton about what was going to happen and that doctors are nice. I even got a mask from my pediatrician so we practiced putting it on so she wouldn't freak out when they put her to sleep. Then I get to the hospital and find out I can't even hold her while they put her to sleep because the gases are no good for pregnant people...... WHAT- freak out #1

And we survived:)


Worst part- the hour before surgery Bree kept asking for a "chicken taco" and a "roll up" (don't judge on how much we eat out:)) it broke my heart:(
Then when she woke up she was beside herself. Screaming like a crazy person. And that is not my Bree. Freak out #2.
They diagnosed her with an esophagus disease and possibly something funky with her stomach. We will know more Friday.

All in all two freak outs- not too bad:) Bree was a trooper and glad we know whats wrong:) Poor thing:(

6 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

Wow only a few freak outs. I would have had like 10!! I hope Bree is feeling ok, poor thing. She seems like a trooper though.

Goratrain and Ian-ator said...

Poor Bree. Rowan just had five stitches put in her cheek and I had about three freak-outs so I think you were doing great. I hope you find out what is wrong and they can fix it fairly painlessly and quickly. I miss you!

Beccarigg said...

Holy cow! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that! We've been through a similar thing with Brinley's ear tubes and it's so hard not letting them eat anything before their surgery. Seriously breaks your heart! That's so sweet that she was asking for a chicken taco ; ) I'm sure Brinley would've asked for McNuggets since we have them at least once a week ; )

Glad you guys made it through and that they know what's wrong with her. Hopefully she can start getting better now. Also, what a thoughtful friend to send you care packages! Such a cute idea ; )

Love Sweet Love said...

Awww poor little girl! No food-that would be my #1 freak-out followed by multiple melt downs throughout the day! Good thing she has such a strong mamma to help her be brave! I miss you too! Maybe Lora should get her butt down here from Washington and see us! :)

Stephanie and Daniel said...

Poor Bree

ZAC said...

Mel, I totally feel your pains! Jeffrey was scheduled for a surgical procedure at 10:30am and after thinking about how HARD it would be to starve him until then I finally rescheduled to a 7:30am! What troopers you and Bree really are. Just hang in there with the "esophagus disease."