Saturday, October 16, 2010

Mel Gets a Break

One of Melinda's birthday presents this year was a ticket to a weekend-long scrapbooking convention. This meant I had Bree from right after work on Friday to late night Saturday (today). I figured it would be the perfect time to take her on a Daddy/Daughter date.






We went to the Bean Museum on BYU campus and saw all the "amilos," including the "lelephant" pictured behind Brielle.






She had fun on her first outing to a museum, but was pretty concerned about the "fishies not swimming so good."






When she saw the deer, she made a high-pitched squeal and said, "That's the sound a deer makes." Her uncle Matson is an avid hunter and swears it sounds exactly like the deer call he just got at Cabella's.






We stopped by the BYU bookstore for a special treat afterward. Walking back to our car across campus I said, "One day, you might go to school here." Bree responded with wonderment, "Me?!"

I've been sick with a bad cold for the past two weeks and have been resting from all exercise.

But Momma called the doctor
And the doctor said,
"No more resting, run a 5k instead!"

So this morning, Bree and I were up early for the "Race for Jess 5K." A friend and wardmember (and amazing person, all-around) was killed recently in an auto-pedestrian accident on BYU campus (See news story here). This was a race to help raise funds for her medical and funeral bills.






In classic Joseph fashion, I showed up late and the runners had already taken off. So, I turned on my Runkeeper app on my phone and started running. Apparently I need to get sick, stop running for a few weeks and then push Bree in the jogging stroller for all my races because I posted my best 5K time yet.






Bree had a ton of fun, too. This is her with Inge, the other girl who also got hit but survived.






I figured I hadn't had enough exercise yet, so Bree and I went to a friend's house to pick apples and make apple juice. Notice the piles of apples (we were probably only halfway done picking them at that point), the apple crusher machine, and the press that squeezes out the juice.

A fun weekend with Bree while Mommy got a break!

3 comments:

Angie Judd said...

What a nice daddy you are!
Thanks for letting Mel get a break. Word on the street is that she won some pretty awesome frames. Like, really awesome.
Hope she had as much fun as me. :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a purpose-driven weekend. Glad you could make memories with your daughter while Melinda was away!

Beccarigg said...

Aw, Daddy/daughter dates are the best! My girls live for them! Looks like Bree had tons of fun, and super cool that Mel got the weekend off : )

Oh and that 5K time? You are an animal. Taber will have no mercy when you guys run together now that you're posting times like that. Especially pushing a jogging stroller! impressive.